Jul 18, 2018
You know those days when you break your weight loss boundaries
and then eat everything in sight? Or you’re trying to break a habit
and you have an evening of indulgence?
It's hard to feel hopeful on those days. Yet here's the truth:
God redeems failure!
In today's episode of the Taste for
Truth Podcast, Heidi Bylsma and I discuss how God helps us
on those failure days. We'll also talk about what you can do to get
back on track after an evening of failure. We’ll gear the
discussion toward weight loss, but the following tips can be
applied to breaking any habit.
Here are just a few of the tips we'll be talking about:
- Ask God, "Where did the derailment begin?"
- Look for patterns. Do you find yourself breaking your
boundaries for the same reasons over and over again?
- Look for situations to avoid or ways to set things up
differently for future success.
- Make a plan for the future based on why you failed today.
- Consider modifying your boundaries by keeping trigger foods out
of the house. You can still eat these foods, but not at home. (If
you’re working on a habit, ask, “What can I do on a practical level
to make it difficult to practice my habit?”)
- Do the failure eating questions from I Deserve a Donut
(And Other Lies That Make You Eat) after an evening of
- Use failure as a learning experience by keeping a "lessons
- Use the STALL tool: Stop. Turn. Ask God for help. Listen to
what God says. Learn from what He tells you. Love what He tells
- Remember that God doesn't expect us to be perfect, and we
shouldn't expect that either. (But don’t use that as an excuse to
- Have a praise fest.
Resources We Talked About on the